In the event you have been unfairly and/or wrongly dismissed, our employment team can support and advise you on what your rights are and if appropriate, help you to bring a claim against your employer, including representing you at an Employment Tribunal if necessary.
If you are covered by an insurance policy that contains legal cover, these policies will often provide you with partial or full funding for employment claims that have reasonable prospects of success.
If you do not have legal expenses insurance our employment team can assist you on an hourly rate basis and we provide average ranges below.
Please note, your costs will generally not be recoverable from your employer.
Range of costs
When acting in such matters costs are calculated based on our hourly fee rates. The cost of your matter will depend upon the complexity however below are the average ranges for simple, medium, and high complexity matters.
Simple matters: £8000 to £12,000 plus VAT (currently 20%)
Medium complexity case: £12,000 to £20,000 plus VAT (currently 20%)
High complexity case: £20,000 to £60,000 plus VAT (currently 20%)
The above costs would include:
- Taking initial instructions;
- Reviewing papers;
- Representation during ACAS Early Conciliation (where this is mandatory);
- Advising on merits and likely compensation;
- Completion of claim form outlining your case and the nature of the dispute (ET1)
- Drafting witness statements;
- Bringing a claim up to and including trial.
Please note - The above costs do not include Solicitors’ costs for attendance at trial or barrister fees should we be required to instruct a barrister (Counsel).
Factors that may increase complexity:
- Attendance at conference(s) with Counsel and at Tribunal hearing;
- Obtaining witness statements;
- Jurisdictional issues;
- Making or defending a costs application;
- If it is an automatic unfair dismissal claim e.g. if you are dismissed after blowing the whistle on your employer;
- Allegations of discrimination which are linked to the dismissal.
Alternatively, as the fees are calculated on an hourly fee basis, if a matter settles early then the cost usually will be lower.
Additional disbursements that you may be required to pay:
Counsel’s fees (estimated):
- Simple case: £2,000 plus VAT.
- Medium Complexity case: ‘Brief fee’ (usually includes trial preparation and the fee for first day spent in Tribunal): £2,500 plus VAT; ‘Refresher fees’ (covering each subsequent day spent in Tribunal) £1,000 plus VAT (per subsequent day).
- High Complexity case: Brief fee £3,500 plus VAT; Refresher fees: £1,500 plus VAT (per subsequent day).
Employment matters will vary according to complexity. Unfair and wrongful dismissal matters are usually concluded within 4 to 18 months. Factors impacting on the timescale will include how cooperative and responsive your employer and/or their legal representation is. We will always aim to progress your case as quickly and efficiently as possible and keep you updated on your case.
Our highly experienced employment law team provides clear, helpful employment law advice and representation to businesses, workers, employees, directors and professionals.
The team is led by David Baynton, Partner, who specialises in employment law and has acted for a wide range of employers as well as senior executives and employees. He qualified as a solicitor in 2010 and has over a decade of experience advising on contracts and terms and conditions of employment, handbooks, policies and procedures, restructures and redundancies, discrimination, TUPE, settlement agreements, and litigation in courts and employment tribunals. David will lead your case and be supported by Laura Ramos, Trainee Solicitor and Kinga Burzynska, Paralegal.
For further information about making a claim for unfair or wrongful dismissal please get in touch with our Employment Team by calling 0117 929 0451, email or completing our website enquiry form.